Buffy: "You want credit for not feeding off bleeding disaster victims?"
Spike: "Well, yeah."
Buffy: "You're disgusting."
Spike: "What's it take?"
So we have Buffy moping over Riley's departure, Anya and Willow bickering with Xander in the middle, and Giles discovering that he can't leave any of the Scoobies in charge of the shop for more than a few hours. *yawn*
Maybe that's unfair. There were definitely several things I liked about this episode:
1. I love Spike. Practicing his apology on the Buffy dummy was hilarious. I also liked Spike trying to pump Xander for any info on how Buffy was taking her breakup with Riley. And copping a Buffy feel during the fight scene. And telling the troll that he could probably find babies to eat in the hospital.
2. Anya never really has been part of the gang, and this episode finally addresses her ex-demon-not-really-one-of-us status. It makes sense that Willow is concerned that Anya is eventually going to hurt Xander in a big way. And it also makes sense that Anya feels threatened by Xander's friends. But we knew all that already.
3. The Buffy and the nun thing at the beginning was cute.
4. Is it me, or does Buffy not seem all that broken up about Riley? I mean, she's teary-eyed and she's upset about the possibility of anyone else breaking up, but it's not anything like her breakup with Angel. Right?
Bits and pieces:
-- Marc Blucas is no longer in the opening credits. Guess he really is gone... although I'll bet he shows up sooner or later as a guest star.
-- "Hello, gay now."
-- What's with the nun in the opening scene having a lock of hair hanging out of her wimple? And do nuns even wear those all encompassing wimples any more?
-- Why did Giles have to go all the way to England to check with the Watchers Council about Glory? Or was that just a plot device to get him out of the way so that we could see his reaction when he came back and found the shop destroyed?
-- If Dawn didn't know before that something is going on, she sure does now.
Buffy: "So, um, about being a nun... you know, um, with the whole abjuring the company of men... you know, how's that working for you? The abjuring."
Nun: "Um ... good."
Buffy: "Do you have to be like super-religious?"
Nun: "Well, uh..."
Buffy: "How's the food?"
Giles: "The resources that the Watchers Council has at their disposal... I mean the Central Library alone is just..."
Buffy: "Don't talk about the books again. You get all ... and sometimes there's drool."
Willow: "We can come by between classes. Usually I use that time to copy over my class notes with a system of different colored pens, but it's been pointed out to me that that's, you know, insane."
Tara: "I said 'quirky'."
Giles: "Anya, while I completely trust you to take care of the inventory and the money, um ... dealing with people requires a certain, uh ... finesse."
Anya: "I have finesse! I have finesse coming out of my bottom!"
Willow: "I'm not stealing. I'm just taking things without paying for them. In what twisted dictionary is that stealing?"
Tara: "Willow says that things always happen for a reason."
Buffy: "But you ever notice people only say that about bad things?"
Olaf: "Barmaid! Bring me stronger ale, and some plump, succulent babies to eat."
Xander: "I'm gonna run and get Buffy. Or maybe you could fight him."
Spike: "Yeah, I could do that, but I'm paralyzed with not caring very much."
Olaf: "You there! Do you know where there are babies?"
Spike: (to Xander) "What do you think, the hospital?"
Willow: "I wish Buffy was here."
Buffy: (comes in) "I'm here."
Willow: "I wish I had a million dollars. (The others look at her) Just checking."
Anya: "I would never hurt Xander! You really think I would do that?"
Willow: "Anya, it's what you do. You spent what, a thousand years hurting men? You got your 'thousand years of hurting men' gold watch?"
Anya: "How can I help?"
Willow: "Distract him from Buffy. Piss him off."
Anya: "I don't know how."
Willow: "Anya, I have faith in you. There is no one you cannot piss off."
Anya: "Hey Olaf! You're as inadequate a troll as you were a boyfriend. You're hairy, and unattractive, and even women trolls are put off by your various odors. Your menacing stance is merely alarming. And your roar is less than full-throated."
Giles: "I cringe to think what the place would have looked like if I'd been away for longer than three days."
Buffy: "Well, maybe we would have had time to clean it up. You know, if Willow used some magicks to help."
Giles: "Yes, 'cause nothing could possibly go wrong with that."
Two out of a possible four stakes,
Billie Doux is the founder of Doux Reviews and has been reviewing her favorite shows for a ridiculously long time. More Billie Doux.
- Next episode
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 5
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer season 5 Spoilers and Foreshadowing
- Buffy the Vampire Slayer home
- Watch this episode or the entire season now