“The fun is just beginning.”
...In which Josie bites her nails and forgets to breathe during the creepiest high school dance ever seen on television. Wow, that was tense!
I’m getting ahead of myself, though. Picking up right where we left off: Elena is now owner of the Salvatore house, Katherine is being self-tortured by Klaus in Alaric’s body (that is so dark), and Bonnie is the mightiest of witches. Oh, and Damon is scheming, as are Matt and Sheriff Forbes. Another beautiful day in sleepy Mystical Falls.
Klauric, as I think we should call him, was hilarious. (And even sexier than usual.) He’s also a good example of one of VD’s greatest strength: they don’t drag anything out. I expected to languish in a full episode of can-he-or-can’t-he tension: can a vampire inhabiting a human body enter a human’s house? 10 minutes in, the question was answered, and the safe house made unsafe, at least for this week.
Bonnie was even likeable—well, I still don’t want to be BFFs with the witch, but I do not want Jeremy to have to get over a third dead girlfriend. At some point he has to lose his virginity, after all. Her willingness to self-sacrifice felt rather extreme, but I bought it because I have never fully understood where she’s coming from, and because she has traditionally despised vampires.
And, while all the other characters of course had important roles, Klauric and Bonnie were really the stars of tonight’s show. Their pyrotechnic showdown was one of the most visually striking scenes this show has done, and while it was a bit over the top, it worked in retrospect: Bonnie’s spell and trickery necessitated a lot of visual distractions. I really thought she was dead. More importantly, I really thought that Alaric’s body might die.
Hence the nail-biting. All the signs have been pointing to Bonnie’s imminent demise, so I began to wonder if that was just a blind so we’d be hit with the death of the world’s most appealing history teacher. Even knowing that Alaric would make it through the night, I still tensed up on re-watching the macabre dance. I loved the way the camera panned from couples as they paired and re-paired, some of them scheming, some of them twisting…and did you catch Stefan spinning Elena into Damon’s arms?
While Klauric and Bonnie were the stars, Damon played the man behind the curtain tonight. His speech to Stefan felt a bit like it could be a strange Republican political allegory, but I’m choosing not to go there. Damon might make victory possible, because he’s not distracted by petty morality. He has one clear goal and is willing to sacrifice everyone to keep Elena safe. Sacrifice is certainly the theme of the season, which raises one question: would Damon sacrifice himself? Does he want Elena to live, full stop? Or does he want to continue to be able to live near her?
As for the Caroline/Matt/Sheriff Forbes B-plot: hmm. I’ve always liked Sheriff Forbes’s combination of vulnerability and nail-strength toughness. I hope she can realize that Caroline is still Caroline, only with fewer issues and a rather sanguine eating disorder. And I hope she can renew her friendship with Damon, somehow. I always liked them together.
• Klauric: “I wish there was something good I could say about the sixties. They sucked. Except the Beatles, of course. They made it bearable.”
• Damon: “Something tells me he’s not going to be 16 and pimply.”
• Klauric: “He is the biggest, baddest vampire around.”
• Klauric: “Who is this guy?”
Katherine: “He’s the local vampire hunter.”
Klauric: “Well, that explains the clothes.”
• Damon: “Remember the last decade dance? The vampires were all ‘argh’! And you were all ‘aah!’”
• Damon: “Don’t get me wrong, Stefan. I don’t mind being the bad guy. I’ll make all the life and death decisions while you’re busy worrying about collateral damage. Elena will hate me for it. But at the end of the day, I’ll be the one to keep her alive.”
• I liked Elena almost not letting Damon into the house.
• Caroline is also sporting thicker eyebrows, but they look great on her.
• Speaking of great looking people, Stefan + Steve McQueen tie = ooh la la.
• So Elijah and the dagger are back in the game, eh? I did kinda see that coming. Elena should have at least dragged the body out of the house before pulling out the dagger.
• We are heading for the home stretch. Now is probably a good time to remind everyone that we are a spoiler-free site. And we have the power of 100 dead witches to back up our policy.
Four out of four sexy hippies.
- Next episode
- Vampire Diaries season 2
- Vampire Diaries home
- Watch this episode or the entire season now