This episode had some wonderful moments and some wonderful set-up, including “vague threats, ominous prophecies, and disappearing tattoos.” But it also made me realize why I have been a little bit uncomfortable this entire season: Elena’s transition to vampire is—how to put this?—kinda horrifying, and not in the good Halloweeny way.
Elena is overcome with exaggerated emotions, especially rage against Rebekah. Sfan sees that she is struggling to control herself, and he wants to help her learn to be a better, happier vampire. So does Damon. Elena seems to be more drawn to Damon’s brand of vampirism, and that’s her choice. But I’m not entirely cool with Elena’s two much-older boyfriends (let’s be honest, that’s what they are) taking the initiative on helping Elena become a grown-up vampire. It’s creepy and rubs my feminism the wrong way.
Especially since Caroline is right there, super-awesome and woefully underused. Even Stefan admired her transition to well-adjusted vampirism, and offered her a position as transition-consultant. But why not just give Caroline full rein? Make it a lovely testament to the power of female friendship, rather than a young woman (or wo-pire) being molded by her older lover and older wannabe-lover?
Is anyone else feeling creeped out?
Anyway, on to the good: Elena exploring immortality’s freedoms was delightful, and the moments she has that aren’t filled with crazy emotions (like bringing Matt a bandaid) show that she’s still a great person. Damon and Dr. Fell flirting was even more delightful; I sense some new ‘shipping potential. I wonder how that potential relationship might conflict with Elena’s visions of Damon. And I wonder if she’ll start having visions of Klaus now that she’s blood-shared with him. (Or maybe the visions were brought on by werewolf venom, not blood-sharing?)
I grimaced when Klaus appeared, but loved his scenes with Damon. And I’m enchanted by the possibility of “the five,” which I assume are a group of hunters bound together by fate and mystical ancestry. And are
What does it mean that Jeremy might be one of them? Does that mean his dad (or mom) was a hunter, too? Or is it not genetic? Klaus saved Connor Jordan from the explosion because he’s more useful alive than dead—what does that mean? And how cool is it that Vampire Diaries seems to be taking a mysterious-mystical-mystery approach to this season? Connor Jordan is awesome, too: delightfully quippy.
The truly evil part of me is also dancing the dance of joy about Tyler. No, seriously: he cheated on Caroline, eh? Sounds like the potential for a juicy break-up. I don’t want Caroline to be sad, but I do want her to find a better man than Tyler.
• Stefan: “I thought I’d teach her to have some fun.”
Damon: “Those who can’t do, teach.”
• Caroline: “You should write a book. Go on The View.”
• Dr. Fell: “You are a good brother.”
Damon: “I’m the bad brother.”
• April: “You used to read me bedtime stories.”
Elena: “And now I’m giving you beer. Sounds about right.”
• Damon: “Did I say that I was a germaphobe? I meant ‘vampire.’”
• Damon: “Maybe clue me in on this ‘greater evil.’ Because I’ve fought this guy, and there’s nothing more evil than that.”
Klaus: “Yeah, truth be told, I’m as evil as it gets.”
• Jeremy: “See, I told you I could be a badass!”
Damon: “Badasses don’t say that.”
• Dr. Fell: “I am not your new partner in vampire crime.”
• Needle! In gums! Needle! In the gums! Maybe the next cold open can just be five minutes of nails on a chalkboard.
• Why is Stefan still attending high school?
• I laughed out loud when Connor Jordan asked Matt which of his friends was a vampire. I half-expected Matt to say, “Don’t you mean, which one isn’t?”
• Elena has now blood-shared with Damon and Klaus. Stefan better get in on that action before he gets pushed out.
• Matt took a turn towards the dark side, didn’t he? Completely willing to kill Rebekah. She deserves it, too.
• The song playing over Tyler’s reunion with Haley (Phoebe Tonkin of The Secret Circle, sporting an ambiguous accent) was The Lumineer’s “Ho Hey.” It is getting a massive amount of radio play here in LA, and is the cutest pop song I’ve ever heard:
I’m not sure how to rate this. What do you think?
- Next episode
- Vampire Diaries season 4
- Vampire Diaries home
- Watch this episode or the entire season now