by Billie Doux
Now is the time!
Buffy is my favorite TV show, ever. When it started back in March 1997 as a mid-season replacement, I watched it, not that faithfully and missing an episode here and there. In the middle of season two, the Angel arc just blew me away and I became a huge fan. By season three, I was totally obsessed and began reviewing each episode for a small group of online friends. Eventually, my reviews were posted on several websites and boards, nearly all of which are now in Internet heaven.
All this is a roundabout way of saying that when I finally re-posted the reviews here on my own site, they'd been read quite a bit but didn't contain many comments. And yet, they rank pretty high in search engines and we get a decent number of hits, month after month. Buffy is the first show I ever reviewed. This site probably wouldn't exist if it weren't for Buffy.
People are still discovering Buffy, especially now that the show's creator, Joss Whedon, has become the hottest movie director in the freaking world. New Buffy fans are looking for a place online to talk about it. I'd love it so much if one of those places was right here on the Doux. I'm hoping that this re-watch will generate lots of comments and discussion, which will make our Buffy reviews more enjoyable for past and future fans.
So here are the details!
1. Our Buffy Re-Watch begins May 2 with "Welcome to the Hellmouth". We'll do a new episode every other day. We'll keep going as long as there's interest, hopefully until the end. (If we get to season four, we'll discuss how to handle Angel.) :)
2. There is now a box on the top left of the site labeled BUFFY RE-WATCH. A link to the episode we're currently watching and discussing will be posted there. I'll change the link on even-numbered days, early in the morning (California time).
3. Discussion will take place in the comments section of my existing episode review. Post a brief comment, a review-length comment (have you ever wanted to review Buffy? Go for it!), your rating for each episode, or just join in the conversation. Anything goes! With one exception. And that's...
4. No spoilers for future episodes! This is our standing policy on Doux Reviews, no matter how long ago the show originally aired. That way, if you're new to Buffy, you can participate in the Re-Watch without getting spoiled. And I hope you will.
5. However! If you would like to talk spoilers and foreshadowing, and wow, is there a lot of foreshadowing on Buffy, there will be a place for you to do exactly that.
I'll start us off with a comment on the review starting with the words "BUFFY RE-WATCH". (Although anyone can post a comment on any review of any show on the site at any time. Did you know we have over 4,000 reviews on Doux Reviews now?) If you don't start the Re-Watch with us on May 2, feel free to join in later. The reviews will still be here. We're not going anywhere.
At least five of our site writers have promised to participate in the Re-Watch, post comments and join in discussion. This could be a lot of fun. (It could also fizzle out. And if it does, if we can't generate interest, we'll just stop.)
So who wants to participate? Are you ready to return to Sunnydale High?
P.S. PLEASE tweet this or like it on Facebook, or both!
(Thanks so very much to Austin, who suggested this Re-Watch.)