"Say yes and I'll buy you a house."
I take back pretty much every negative thing I said about Revenge this year. Yes, the first half of the year could have been more compelling, but Mike Kelley was obviously just rearranging the chess pieces for a season that could potentially blow last year's stunning debut out of the water.
I love that everything is falling into place; The Initiative, Aiden, Grayson Global, Nolan & Padma, The Stowaway plot... nothing feels tacked on anymore, which makes watching the show a joy again. Okay, so Charlotte and Declan can still grate, but I've moved past that since they barely get any screen-time anymore, anyways. I was most impressed by the reveal of The Initiative's master plan; obviously there's more to learn, but it primarily consists of a catastrophic Manhattan blackout (thanks to Nolan's Carrion program) and then making billions via disaster-relief organization StoneHaven which Grayson Global has just acquired. Suffice to say, it's an intriguing real-world plot (nothing overly cartoony like world domination) and it effectively imbues Emily's quest with a chance to do good by throwing a wretch in the conspiracy's plans. My biggest gripe with the show this year was that we were moving away from one woman's personal revenge story into an Alias-lite conspiracy angle that was ill-fitting of the show. I now see that this enlarged scope affords the show some higher stakes and wraps Emily's vengeance in a greater good which is the only thing that could possibly redeem her in the long run (not that we want that to happen).
I'm glad that Aiden has taken center-stage this year. It's his revenge story as well, and we now have the very real possibility of him going up against Emily after his sister was "killed". I have a feeling the blackmail videos are years old but we'll learn more soon enough. I do love his dynamic with Miss Thorne and I can't wait to see them collide throughout the rest of the season (although they are awesome as a couple).
I'm also ecstatic that Nolan isn't an idiot, and that he figured out on his own that Padma was anything but honest. This could have been dragged out until the finale and I'm so thankful it wasn't so we can get to the good stuff. Here's hoping he gets revenge-y a la Emily.
- Emily's opening dream with her transitioning mid-sex between Daniel and Aiden was quite peculiar and intriguing.
- I was sure Aiden would shoot Jason. Too bad.
- So Emily offers people houses in exchange for favors? God I love her.
- So I take it the Graysons weren't expecting Charlotte to announce her name-change at her birthday surprise?
- I have a feeling that Conrad's new plan with one of the Ryan brothers is going to directly cause the boat accident we saw in the premiere. That should be coming up soon, right?
- So did Nolan really give Padma the real Carrion program? Or a tracking decoy of some sorts?
- The video of Aiden's sister was brutal. Something's fishy, though.
- Aiden was quite chilling with his "if she's dead it's on you!" proclamation. I don't think we've ever seen Emily this creeped out and apprehensive before.
Ashley: Good morning.
Victoria: Charlotte, would you excuse us for a moment, it seems that the cat has dragged itself back in.
Ashley: Here's the report you asked for.
Victoria: So this is the new communications director? Don't you know that politicians tend to keep their concubines in the closet?
Ashley: Spoken like a woman that no one is sleeping with.
Conrad: You'll be happy to hear that miss Davenport and I have put our past behind us and we are now looking to the future.
Victoria: Now I can only imagine what kind of horrifying footage that will yield.
Padma: What's wrong?
Nolan: Well, the key is a little pedestrian.
Aiden: What do I have to do?
Helen: Kill Victoria Grayson. You have 24 hours.
Nolan: (To Padma) Did you know there was a secret passage, because I am totally hosting a murder mystery now.
Nolan: (To Emily) I hoped I helped your cause with your faux-beau.
Emily: (To Nolan) My advice? Play her like she's playing you.
Daniel: You think we'll ever get back to being the people we once where?
Emily: Maybe. Just not tonight.
- Thoroughly engrossing and packed with momentum, this hour was another win in a newly invigorated season.
4 out of 5 new names.
Previously posted on Nad's Reviews.