I adored Revenge last year; it really was my favorite new drama of the year. However, this year's premiere, while enjoyable, didn't prove to be as thrilling as I wanted it to be. While this episode still had its share of flaws, it was a definite improvement and a step in the right direction.
The episode's highlight was undoubtedly Victoria. It was a joy (as always) to watch her plot, scheme and wriggle her way back into the Hamptons. Asking Conrad to brutally attack her was just plain sick and I loved it (although it felt a bit much even for the show). Moreover, I continue to be pleasantly surprised by Charlotte this year. Last season she couldn't be more irritating, but now she feels like an integral part of the cast with a layered personality to boot. It really broke my heart to watch her bond with Faux-Amanda as Emily watched on. This episode really made me realize how much I can't wait for Emily to reveal her true identity. I hope it happens soon and that it isn't dragged out for countless seasons.
While I enjoy Nolan in small doses, I have no interest in this sudden emphasis on his work and the introduction of Padma. Does Nolan really need a love interest? Isn't his dynamic with Emily enough? Worse still is Declan, who continues to grate as the most annoying character on television. Why should I care about him and that stupid necklace? Seriously, I want to know what the hell the writers are smoking and why they insist on dragging down the show with such a pointless character and storyline. It's inexcusable and beyond frustrating.
Finally, I'm also getting impatient with Emily's mom; I'd really like to meet her already. I know it sounds like I'm harping on the show but I just want it to be phenomenal again. This was a pretty good hour but I expect more after a masterful debut season where the standards were set unimaginably high. Honestly, I'm beginning to forget why I loved this show so much, so I'm hoping for a mind-blowing hour soon to shock me back into reality.
- Loved Emily's mom morphing into Victoria leading into Emily choking Nolan. Hilarious!
- Queen V announcing herself to Conrad on the phone was pretty epic.
- Charlotte and Daniel's relationship is another highlight this year. I'm really feeling the bond surprisingly.
- Can I just say Madeleine Stowe still looks hot while beaten to a pulp?
- Emily's "son of a bitch" cracked me up.
- So Jack IS the father. How unfortunate. I did like Emily lying, though. It shows she's not above playing dirty.
- I really didn't like White-Haired Man getting the upper-hand on Emily. She doesn't usually let her guard down.
- So what's the story with Aiden? He's on the Grayson Global board and then he saved Emily by shooting WHM. I must say I am intrigued.
Nolan: This is why you shouldn't fall asleep watching horror movies.
Emily: I was watching Victoria.
Nolan: (To Emily) What now, Revenger?
Nolan: I don't think my employees have any respect for me.
Emily: Why would they? You're not wearing pants.
Victoria: (To Charlotte) Sunshine and happy thoughts aren't going to get us through this, we need money to survive!
Emily: Is Victoria's heart still beating?
Nolan: Was it ever?
Conrad: (To Victoria) So it's true; even the Devil himself didn't want you.
Victoria: (To Conrad) Hit me. And do it like a man, if that's even possible.
Conrad: Oh dear, nothing would give me greater pleasure.
- All in all, a welcome improvement over the premiere, but I still want more excitement.
3.5 out of 5 fake beatings.
Previously posted at Nad's Reviews